Sigh...where to begin...
¡Me Encanta Manta!
After thinking I was the clever one who came up with this phrase, Miriam (my host mom) told me there's a t-shirt that says it. OOOOOOO well guess I'll just have to go back to Manta to buy it!
Manta was so great. I love the beach and the coast. Christine and I spent all of
After being at the beach all day on Friday, my "Aunt Lydia" asked if we were hungry and (drumroll...) wanted some CEVICHE!!!!!! um....YES?! Amazing.
En Route to Guaranda
We woke up early Sunday morning and got on our 3-hr bus from Manta to Guayaquil, because there is no bus that goes straight from Manta to Guaranda. The bus station in Guayaquil was overwhelming. There were so many people there, so many crowds, and so many buses! It also doubles as a three-story mall. Who decided THAT one? Both brilliant and painful. There were over 100 bus companies in vending windows, so we eventually found our tickets to Guaranda. They instructed us to go to the third floor, which confused us. But there, on the third floor of one of the largest buildings I've been in, was the bus we would sit in for the next 5 hours without air conditioning and minimal leg room. We bought a loaf of bread (which was incredibly sweet...no surprise) and some empanadas because we hadn't eaten breakfast nor lunch, and there was no time before boarding. Off to Guaranda!
The people in front of us were extra nice and decided to recline their seats all the way back. We thought the whole no air conditioning situation wouldn't be that bad, because there was a nice breeze...until water balloons, hoses, and squirt guns attacked our windows. It was hilarious - we would get hit in the most desolate towns and have no idea who was launching things at us. Water balloons would come flying through the windows when we least expected it, hit the ceiling, and splash throughout the bus. I loved it! Christine, not as much.
After a good 4 hours, a man a few seats from me started getting antsy and yelling "Chauffeur, pon Carnaval! Pon Carnaval!" He wouldn't let up, so a man from the front of the bus stood up, grabbed the guitar he had stored overhead, and walked back to serenade us. He was cool with me taking a video of him :) Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to rotate it without having to pay for new software so...just lean your head toward your right shoulder for the next 30 seconds. This traditional song is specific to Guaranda, but everyone in Ecuador knows it. As far as I could tell, it's been passed down and everyone knows or makes up their own verses, because different people on the bus would shout out new verses and then everyone would join in. I only recorded a little bit of it - this probably went on for 10 minutes with everyone singing and clapping. The little girl next to us spraying foam throughout the back of the bus was a nice touch.
After he was done playing, the man came and sat by us and we talked with him for the remaining half-hour to Guaranda.
He invited us to his house in the orient (rain forest), but not in a creepy way - just in a really friendly way. A lot of people tend to be so welcoming and hospitable in Ecuador.
Guaranda
When we arrived in Guaranda, we got some dinner, settled in, and went dancing for a little bit. It was quite a sight. The people were borraCHIsimmo! (english translation: WASTED!). U-of-I-ers, picture Unofficial, but a lot more messy, a lot more happy, and a lot of Latin dance. People of all ages, but mostly middle-aged, were stumbling throughout the streets - beers still in hands after hours of drinking, being carried either home or to the next bar by people we hope they knew, and spraying foam at our taxi - but not in a riotous way; the environment was very friendly. The idea is that everyone celebrates because it is Carnaval. No one gets angry, no one means any harm, everyone throws things at everyone else - all in good fun.
Did I mention I want an Ecuadorian child?
We ate salchipapas (salchi = sausage, papas = potatoes/french fries) that we bought for a dollar from a street vendor.
grease. They were way better than you'd think! I love the "Art Attack" sign haha. I think it's pretty appropriate next to those salchipapas!
Here's a picture of the AMAZING lunch we had in Guaranda. Christine's a vegetarian, so she got the veg platter with noodles, oil and vinegar, mushrooms, olives, veggies, etc. I got lomo (meat) a la pimienta (pepper) served with a rice and gravy, a small salad, and french fries. You can also see our two cafe con leches and our mora-mango (two fruits) batido (like a milk-shake with fruit...realllly good).
Here's what we DIDN'T eat. It's "cui" - guinea pig - an Ecuadorian delicacy. Yes, I'm going to eat it eventually - but not in Guaranda, at this little shacky-looking restaurant where it is cooked outdoors...not the most sanitary conditions. And yes, it's served like this - with eyes and legs and head attached. Mmmm.
Monday night we went to a club in Guaranda. It was probably the best club I've been to yet here, probably because everyone had so much energy and excitement for carnaval. These two girls on the bar work there and the guy with the fire is a dance artist who we saw earlier in the night when we went to Los 7 Santos for chips, guac, and vino caliente - hot wine that tastes similar to sangria and can be cooked with cinnamon, usually served with an orange slice as a filter and sugar on the rim of the glass. It's my favorite drink I've had here.
Tuesday we lunched and then headed back to Quito on another cramped, long bus ride. Carnaval was amazing, but it feels good to be home.
1 comment:
"I want an Ecuadorian child. Probably the best souvenir I could bring back, minus the whole responsibility part."
best quote EVER. EVER EVER EVER.
i miss you.
Post a Comment